As co-founder and Managing Partner of Orr Group, Steve has facilitated the growth and evolution of the firm to its current position as a national leader in the nonprofit consulting sector.
Drawing on his investment banking and finance background, Steve brings a problem-solving approach, a focus on metrics, and an outcomes-driven perspective to the nonprofit sector. Steve is committed to enhancing philanthropy using innovative technologies and approaches developed in the business world to disrupt the established ways of working and encourage experimentation.
Steve leads strategy and implementation teams for Orr Group’s partners, frequently serving in the role of Executive Director or Chief Executive Officer during times of transition. In addition to providing fresh thinking and visionary leadership, he drives transformational change to help nonprofits achieve their missions. He draws on his 30 plus years of experience to establish and build trust with staff, management, and boards, as well as to drive philanthropic revenue growth.
Steve began his career on Wall Street as an investment banker specializing in the financial sector at Goldman Sachs. In 1991, inspired by the charitable efforts of his parents, Steve founded Orr Group with his wife, Carol, to help nonprofits fundraise more effectively.
In 1994, he also founded Youth, Inc., a nonprofit organization that helps NYC grassroots youth programs expand through fundraising, board placements, training, and direct grants and led the organization for 20 years, during which time Youth INC partnered with 130 youth programs in NYC, placed 140 executives on its program boards, and raised over $50 million.
Selected Recent Partners
- Arthritis Foundation
- Diabetes Research Institute Foundation/University of Miami
- Georgetown University
- Marriott Foundation for People with Disabilities
- MedStar Health
- New Profit
- Niagara University
- Nicklaus Children’s Health Care Foundation/Nicklaus Children’s Hospital
- Southampton Hospital/Stony Brook University Hospital
- Trust for the National Mall
- United Community Schools
- Washington Nationals Youth Baseball Academy
- M.I.M. (Master of International Management), Thunderbird School of Global Management, Arizona State University, 1979
- B.A., Finance, and Marketing, Michigan State University, 1976
- Culver Military Academy, 1972
I feel strongly about…
Staying at the forefront of the sector and “playing bigger.”