Maria brings extensive experience in the nonprofit sector to assist Orr Group clients on issues ranging from high-level strategy to philanthropic engagement. As a Director on a number of nonprofit boards, Maria well understands the fundamentals of good nonprofit governance, how to engage board members in a culture of philanthropy, and how to build and implement an effective fundraising program.
Maria’s past experience includes serving in both executive and governance roles for the Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network and leading the North American youth division for the global nonprofit Ashoka. As CEO of FAAN, she managed a $5 million budget and oversaw all major strategy, fundraising, and communication. Prior to FAAN, she founded Safe@School Partners Inc., a nonprofit that helped schools with food allergy safety.
Maria also has experience in business and law. As a management consultant, including several years with McKinsey & Company, she worked with organizations in the legal, online banking, and other professional service sectors, advising them on issues ranging from international growth strategy to client services and internal operations. She also served as the Director of Strategy for Cvent at its inception, now the leading technology provider for the meetings, events and hospitality industry. As a litigator at the firm of Williams & Connolly, she represented clients in numerous types of cases including employment, patent, and commercial contract.
Maria is an author on food allergies, contributing to the textbooks Food Allergy – Adverse Reactions to Foods and Food Additives, and Food Allergy – Practical Diagnosis and Management. She also authored the Forward in A Complete Guide for Eating When Your Life Depends on It and has co-authored several research abstracts published in the Journal of Clinical Immunology.
Selected Recent Partners
- Imagine Schools
- Pro Mujer
- J.D., Yale Law School
- B.A., Mathematics, Duke University
- Nonprofit Management Executive Certificate, Georgetown University
- Chair, Yale Alumni Nonprofit Alliance, Washington DC
- Chair, Duke University Hispanic/Latino Alumni Association, Washington DC
- Member, NIH National Advisory Council for Allergy & Infectious Diseases, Bethesda, MD
- Board Member, Legal Resource Center on Violence Against Women, Washington DC
- Board Member, Center for Inspired Teaching, Washington DC
- Board Member, Food Allergy Fund (FAF), Washington DC
What makes me happy…
Random acts of kindness!