Katy joined Orr Group in 2019 with over 15 years of experience in the field of philanthropy at the local, regional, and national levels. Katy brings to Orr Group expertise in grantmaking, strategic philanthropy, and corporate social responsibility. She has a deep knowledge and insider’s view of institutional and corporate philanthropy and a long history of providing nonprofit training and capacity building.
Most recently, Katy served at the center of the DC region’s philanthropic community as Managing Director of Corporate Strategy for the Washington Regional Association of Grantmakers (WRAG) – a powerful network of more than 100 of the largest and most respected philanthropic organizations in the area. Over her 11-year tenure at WRAG, Katy helped hundreds of grantmaking foundations and corporations across the Greater Washington, DC region effectively invest in their communities and make an impact on the causes they care most about.
Katy’s other experiences include:
- Transforming WRAG’s revenue model through the launch of mission-driven, revenue-generating programs and projects.
- Founding the Institute for Corporate Social Responsibility in partnership with Johns Hopkins University and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation.
- Leading the philanthropic field’s first-ever attempt to self-regulate and establish standards of practice as the head of the National Standards for U.S. Community Foundations Initiative.
- Helping to establish the Fayetteville Arkansas Community Foundation by raising initial operating revenue, supporting the board of directors, and launching an endowment campaign.
Selected Recent Partners
- Alliance for Academic Internal Medicine
- Easterseals DC MD VA
- George Mason University
- Georgetown Heritage
- Greater Washington Board of Trade
- Henry M Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine
- National Council on Aging
- Society of Human Resource Management Foundation
Selected Recent Publications
- The CARES Act Provides Financial Relief for Nonprofits
- Philanthropy Then and Now: Mid-Career Reflections
- Nonprofit Branding: Get Noticed, Get Funded
- Five things corporate funders wish nonprofits knew
- What a Career in Philanthropy Taught Me
- MPA, Nonprofit Administration, University of Arkansas
- B.A., Art History, University of Arkansas
- Board of Directors, Leadership Greater Washington
- Board of Directors, Many Hands DC
- Grants Committee, Kaiser Permanente of the Mid-Atlantic States
- Corporate Leadership Council, Miriam’s Kitchen
- Reviewer, Catalogue for Philanthropy
When I’m not working…
I’m usually gardening, playing with my young daughter and Giant Schnauzer, or enjoying great wine (sometimes all at the same time).