Attracting Transformational Leaders: Building Stronger & More Engaged Nonprofit Boards
On July 24, Orr Group hosted over 100 nonprofit leaders and fundraising professionals at our event, Attracting Transformational Leaders. Our panelists led an engaging and lively discussion around building a stronger, more effective board and shared tips and industry trends related to board development. Check out our key takeaways below:
- To build a more engaged board, remember “RMUR“- Recruit, Motivate, Utilize, and Retain.
- Engagement drives investment. A board member who is engaged will be more inclined to invest time and resources into your mission.
- When recruiting new board members, be very clear about your expectations, including time and financial commitments.
- Take time to listen to your board members and understand what galvanizes and motivates them.
- Board building should be a constant. Organizations should always be thinking about how they can expand and diversify their boards.
We would like to thank panelists Richard Berlin (DREAM), Rehana Farrell (Youth INC), William Goodloe (SEO), and David Saltzman (Two Sigma & Robin Hood Foundation) for sharing their knowledge and experiences. A special thank you to all those who attended and to our event host, Two Sigma!